Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 139:

Today's daily verse kind of struck me.  We talked about this verse in my growth group on Wednesday and I've heard it a million times.  I don't remember hearing the last little bit of this verse and it totally changed my perspective on this.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

19  Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God?  You are not your own, 20  for you were bought with a price.  So glorify God in your body.

When you are eating and drinking, sure, consider what you put into your body because you don't want to hurt God's temple, right?  But, that last little bit . . . Glorify God . . . I think that goes beyond not eating bad stuff.  That implies that I should be caring for my physical body in a way that I don't.  I don't think it means I need to start wearing makeup, but maybe I should care about how I look a little more.  Because when I look a mess because I didn't care enough to do more than the bare minimums to survive, that's not just a reflection on me.  It's a reflection on my family and it's a reflection on God.

So, I'm still not thinking I'm going to try to turn into a fashionista over night.  But I do think that if I start to truly think of myself as God's temple, as a physical representation of His love on this earth, maybe I can use that to start to care about myself again.  I remember a time when I did love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment