Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 141: Real Life education

So, I just spent 15 minutes chatting with Erin at the Art Institutes about the culinary programs at the KC school.  During that time, I got no information, she answered no questions.  She updated my address and asked me if she could have an admissions advisor call me.  After 20 minutes on the phone with John, I still don't know anything about their program.  He said that I need to come in to the school for a 90 minute interview.  I asked if whoever I talk to then will give me any info. He said that he is the person I will be meeting with.  

He asked if my career wasn't worth 90 minutes of my time.  I said, I have already wasted an hour to get no useful information.  I have no problem spending the 90 minutes, plus an hour of driving, if I can learn what I need to know.  He said, our students are hands on and our students need to see the school so that they can know if this is right for them.  Aren't you a hands on learner?

I don't need this guy to talk to me like I'm stupid and I don't need him to waste my time.  When I can't get any info up front or in writing, I feel like someone is trying to scam me.  I honestly don't care about getting a degree.  I've already got one. It's very nice.  All I want is to be able to learn how to make the cool sugar flowers, how to work with fondant and all those other nifty little tricks that can take my cake designs to a level worthy of being paid for.  I guess I need to look for alternative education.  Maybe if I can find a bakery that does all the cool stuff I want to learn, I could do an internship or something.  Why don't they have a reality show where I can learn to do all the cool stuff with a cake that I can think up?  I just need a pastry art teacher to help me with my techniques.  

I'm going to buy a tub of fondant.  Duff makes some that they carry at Michaels and I figure that should be as good as it gets, right?  You tube might have some videos on making the sugary glass.  I'm just going to start and see where things go.  I have a kitchen and artistic vision.  Let's get started!

3 comments:

  1. You could take Wilton classes at Michael's, I bet they would teach all of that and then some. Honestly, I have not heard good things about the Art Institutes. I agree with you, if they won't tell you the information up front it is very fishy. Trust your instincts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told - don't buy the packaged fondont. A gal from hays sent me her marshmallow fondont recipe and it's awesome! There are also lots of videos on u-tube that are amazing.

    I'll send you the recipes if I have them digital already. It'll take a bit longer otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did buy some packaged fondant, mainly because I don't know what it's supposed to be like. I figured I can play with it and know what consistency I need so that when I start making it, I have a clue what I'm aiming for. I'd love any recipes you have, Lora!

    Thanks for the tip, Kelly! I have bought cake stuff from Michael's but I never thought of looking there for classes. I'll have to ask them what they have. Maybe they have a calendar online. . . time for some research.

    ReplyDelete