Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 299: Working out hard and working late

So, Dan and I got to sleep in this morning.  It was pretty awesome.  However, we still got our metaboost in!  It was pretty intense.  Even as we started it today though, we noticed that we are both stronger and doing better at the exercises than we even were on Monday.  Who would have thought we would see such a fast change?  This really gives me motivation to stick with the program and hope that it will truly help me to be healthier, not to mention thinner!

We had a good day.  Worked on the budget, played some facebook games, hit the track for some walking (one mile in 21 minutes!) and made it to the grocery store.  I did put a kink in my own meal plans today though, when I purchased some asparagus and some coke classic.

My chiropractor discovered, when x-raying my back, that I have gall stones.  They are not painful, just annoying, and I thought the symptoms were just part of having kids and getting older.  He gave me a recipe for disaster, some might say.  He told me that if I blend half a cup of asparagus with just enough olive oil to make a "smoothie," drinking this concoction would force my gall bladder to squeeze all of the stones out.  In the blender, this did not get smooth.  The little hand mixer thing that you can stick down in the glass didn't get it much better.  I ended up eating it with a spoon.  I had added a little onion and garlic and green pepper to try to make it yummy.  It wasn't horrible, but I ate it quickly and don't plan on adding it to my menu any time again soon.  However, that was the easy part.

Keeping in mind that I haven't been drinking soda on a regular basis for over four years, I followed up my not-so-smoothie with six cans of coke classic in the next hour.  My chiro explained that this will elevate the acidity in my blood enough to dissolve the stones so the can go away, thus avoiding the risk of future pain and possible surgery.  Who wouldn't drink a few sodas to avoid pain and surgery??  What I discovered is that drinking six cokes in an hour is about as much fun as drinking a bottle of soda syrup for a prenatal diabetes test.  ICK!

The good news is that my body has been reacting to this mess and I'm pretty sure it's doing what it was intended to do.  The bad news is, after weaning myself down to one or two cups of coffee a week, it seems the caffeine has gotten to me.  More good news, I wrote an article and cover letter for a chance to be published in the KC Star and I got a new page up on my blog!  All in all, a great day, just finally getting tired and oh so ready to hit the hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment