Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day One

Ok, so technically, it's more like Day One: Take Three, or maybe even four. I've started taking steps to lose weight before and I've even had a program where I went to the gym and worked with some really great personal trainers. But this time is different. I can think of three reasons why things are different this time.

First of all, since I began my regimen of supplements, my depression has been a lot better. There are days that I still struggle and there are those days that are going to be hard no matter what. Overall though, I feel like a happy person who has bad days. That's such a nice change that I am still amazed at how good it feels to really be happy again.

Secondly, I am sick and tired of being fat. I hate having acne, especially since it was supposed to end with high school. I hate that people think I am fat and depressed by choice. I'm tired of losing more hair in one shampooing than my daddy has on his entire head. The difference is, not that I am not a sad person with good days, this doesn't make me sad. It makes me mad. And now that I'm angry, I'm more motivated to do something about it.

Finally, I bought a copy of "The Natural Diet Solution for PCOS and Infertility." It's such a complete resource for all aspects of PCOS that I don't feel so lost anymore. I had a great doctor. She moved so I have to find someone new, but she helped me find a path. I at least have a road map now. I have a plan of action, and who doesn't feel better knowing they have a plan?

So, this is my last Day One. Let's see where it goes!

I started my bike ride at 7:30am. That's after I snoozed from 6:53am. I biked 4.2 miles in 21 minutes! Go me! My thighs are sore so I don't know that I'll be riding tomorrow and I have to get my bike checked out because it makes funny noises, but I did it!

Vitamins

Vitamin D helps conquer depression.

Magnesium helps make insulin more efficient, hence it is good for insulin resistance, a major drawback of PCOS. It also helps with inflammation which is caused in part by eating foods that are not good for your body.

B vitamins are used to "enrich" bread and cereals that have already been sucked dry of nutrients. As grains are not recommended for women with PCOS, I'm not feeling all that enriched, so I take a B complex.

Fish oil contains essential fatty acids that our bodies can't make for themselves. The omega 3s help our cells function at an optimal level and maintain the health of our nervous system.

Multivitamins are necessary to fill in the gaps in my diet. I am trying to be healthy, but some days it works better than others. :)

Food log

After run: Three squares of dark chocolate with sea salt and almonds. That's a half serving.

Breakfast: 2 egg omelet with chicken breast, grilled onions and green peppers. 16 ounces of water.

Lunch: Arby's large roast beef sandwich with lettuce and tomato. (There's really not much that was good in this lunch choice.)

Afternoon drink: 32 ounce tea from Arby's because they forgot our drinks with lunch. I had 1/4 sweet tea and the rest was unsweetened. I realize that adding the sugar is not great, but I figured it was at least a step in the right direction to not just fill it up with the sugary stuff.

Dinner: 6 ounces of rib eye with the fat trimmed and cooked medium well. Large salad with egg, tomato, onion and Two Sister's Gourmet Garlic Parmesan Vinaigrette. Very yummy! (I know there's a lot of fat in that steak, but it was already in the fridge and all . . .)

Snack: 1 actual serving (159 calories, but who's counting?) of a mostly legal dark chocolate with sea salt and almonds. Of course there is sugar in it, but everything else about it is pretty much ok. And tasty. :)

I went to the bike shop this afternoon and picked up a handlebar bag and gloves. I also got a tune up. Tomorrow I will ride three miles to HyVee for breakfast drink mix for Payton. Then I'll breathe a bit and turn around to ride home. My butt is not going to like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment