Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day 11: Pasta and Pumpkins

I have been so frustrated with trying to eat healthier when we are struggling to just put food on the table that I kind of gave up for a while.  Slowly but surely, I am remembering that better is still an improvement over bad.  So, Livi and I had Tuna Helper Tetrazzini for lunch.  I sliced up two carrots, making thin round slices with a potato peeler, and threw them in to cook with the noodles.  They didn't really impact the taste much, but they did add some fiber and other healthy stuff.  Also, instead of just filling up on tetrazzini, we also had organic apples with peanut butter.  So I had less of the bad stuff with healthy stuff added.  Maybe not quite ready for the healthy cook's olympics yet, but making progress.   :)  I also drank half a bottle of water and plan to finish it before I leave to take Livi to school.

I still have a zuchinni that Mom and Dad gave us that I need to shred to add to things and a butternut squash that I will cut into bite sized pieces that I can fry up like the potatoes that I can't eat.  I figure the squash pieces should be freezeable.  Also, I was thinking I will try a few things like that with pumpkin too.  I was wondering if I made french fry strips from pumpkin chunks, and then freeze those, they could cook up like french fries.  It would be a different taste, but I'm wondering how different it would be from sweet potatoes.  And could I make a pumpkin casserole like sweet potato casserole?  Changing to a less starchy option will be much healthier and lord knows we will have enough pumpkin to work with.  Daddy grew some seriously monstrous pumpkins for the kids. 

Payton and I spent most of our evening building a cell from homemade play dough, although I took a short break for tacos and Deep Thoughts.  This was only the second time I've been to the growth group and I already feel like I fit in.  I won't be able to go to the service this Sunday because we are getting family photos and the only spots open were 10am or late in the afternoon when Ash would be gone.    It will be nice to catch up with my Deep Thoughts group so I don't have to miss too much.

I also called Kansas Legal Services today and called the Women 2 Women helpline.  I will be taking three herbal equilibrium a day for the next two weeks.  The lady I spoke with told me that if after two weeks there is still no difference, I should ask for my money back.  That is a little disappointing.  I mean, it's great that I can get my money back and all, but I didn't start this to get my money back, I was really hoping it would help me be healthier.  I didn't really want to go back to the drawing board.  We'll see how it goes!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment