Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 9: Jesus and a Jewelry Party

I had a great morning!  I got up at 8 so we could hit church at 9:30, but Dan changed his mind.  He wasn't feeling well yesterday and he slept lousy last night so we opted for 11am church instead.  I baked some Pillsbury biscuits and sausage and eggs for some yummy sandwiches and garnished the plates with some sliced strawberries.  It was a pretty easy breakfast and we all enjoyed it. 

I get into the habit of not buying fruit because it doesn't last a long time and it's kind of expensive.  I just realized how silly that is.  I got two pounds of strawberries for three bucks, which is less than a box of the ice cream cones that everyone likes.  And if I'm eating fresh fruit, it's easier to pass up anything else sweet.  I think I'll try to start making fresh fruit a priority on every shopping trip.

Church today was a new experience since Dan and Livi were with me.  First, we took Livi to check in.  We filled out her name and ours on a sticker that went on Olivia's shirt.  I got a sticker with a matching number and we got a pager to take to the service with us.  Since it was our first time, we got a tour of where Livi would have "recess" before "class" and then where we would pick her up.  She was anxious to get rid of us as long as we promised to pick her up later.  Afterward, I asked her if she would like to come back another time.  She said that this was not the school she wanted to go to because she wants to go to the school with paint.  Once I explained that this school was for Sunday and that school was for Tuesdays and Thursdays, and that she could still do both, she was good with coming back again.  :) 

Dan snagged some donuts and I got a cup of coffee.  I'm so glad they have Splenda so I can drink my coffee with no sugar.  :)  There were a lot more people at the later service today than we at the early one last Sunday.  As we walked in, the usher directed us to a row and I asked him if he was from Hays.  He said that he was.  I asked if his name was Bob, and he said it was.  I never knew Bob that well, but we have a bunch of mutual friends, or we used to.  And he's got such a nice friendly smile and it was great to see a familiar face.  Then Renee, from my growth group, was in the row in front of me.  We sat in the middle today and I think that made a difference.  The music was great, but this time I could hear other people singing the music and I could feel it.  Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!  I found out that while I spent my Saturday with Olivia, the lady next to me also spent her Saturday with her daughter.  I turned to her and said, "Hello," rather than waiting for someone to turn to me.  I put my friend's son, Philip, who was just diagnosed with cerebral palsy, and my sister, Jesi, who is separated from her kids on the prayer list. 

Today's message was still in the series, Thank God for Sex.  This one was about the single life.  Pastor Matt talked about the advantages and disadvantages of both being single or married.  He explained the opportunities and choices that we face either way.  There were two points today that really struck a chord with me. 

1.  Pastor Matt said that maybe we feel like when we come to church, we aren't getting fed properly.  Maybe the service doesn't feed us enough, or maybe too much, or maybe we don't really like what is there to eat spiritually.  Then he reminded us that it's not really his responsibility.  A dentist told me once that six month visits to him aren't really all the important because it's the every day brushing and hygiene that we do on our own that is really vital.  He won't be there every day so we have to take care of ourselves.  Pastor Matt basically said that spiritual "food" works the same way.  We have to read the Bible and pray every day and then he can help us with guidance and direction once a week.  But if we don't feed ourselves, we're still going hungry.

2.  God cares more about PURITY than VIRGINITY.  Pastor Matt said that virginity is like bungee jumping.  You've either done it or you haven't.  He said that purity is a lifetime heart condition.  We may move away from it but we can always work to move back towards it.  I couldn't help thinking how much that idea would have helped me when I was fifteen.  Then I realized that a great friend of mine pretty much DID share that with me.  When we were in high school, she gave me a "virginity necklace."  It was a heart on a chain but she said I could start over.  I hadn't thought of that in a while, but it still makes me smile.  But the great thing about this message is that it's not all or nothing.  God knows we make mistakes and he gives us so many chances to recover. 

After church, Livi and I shared a pizza while Dan took a nap.  Dan had a sandwich on the way to work.  I headed to the park with Livi and called Dan to bring the guys out.  We had a good time at the park.  We stayed until it was time for Livi and I to head to KC.  I dropped Livi off with Aaron and Payton and then hit Cinzetti's.  I love Cinzetti's but there is not a lot that I really should be eating.  We started the party late because we were waiting for a few people.  It was a good group of ladies and a lot of fun.  There was a great ice breaker game that I would love to try out at my next PartyLite show.  Our jewelry advisor has the exact same business cards that I use and we both chose Harrison Ford as a guy to go out with.  It makes me wonder what other things we might have in common, besides being business owners.  :)  I looked at my phone and it was 8:46!  I had to run before I turned into a pumpkin. 

When I picked up the kids, we hung out a little at Aaron's before we left.  I got home just in time to get the kids tucked into bed and go pick Dan up from work.  It was a non-stop day.  It was a lot of fun and I was on a bouncy-steppin' kind of high all day.  I'm not sure if it was from starting the day with church as a family, or I'm just making progress changing my mind.  I think I'll accept credit for facilitating my own great day!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment