Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 96: Still feeling the calm

As I was trying to get to Bert Nash for my homeless outreach appointment, I got stuck.  I had started early.  I swept the porch, the sidewalk and the car.  I started the car so it could warm up.  I scraped all the windows and figured I could still get to my appointment with ten minutes to spare.  I backed out of my spot and go stuck.  The tires started spinning.  I was going slow and tried rocking front and back but I was just blocking the whole road.  I saw a truck coming down the road who wouldn't be able to get through now because I was blocking everything.  I was struggling not to cry.  Drive, reverse.  Drive, reverse.  Nothing.  The truck stopped and the guy got out with a shovel.  He dug out around my tires.  I got straightened out and backed up to the cross street so I could get out of the trailer park.  I don't know his name, but I thanked him.  He was my angel for the morning.  It doesn't seem like much, but I'm so on the edge that I was sliding towards giving up.  If I had to go back into the house for help to push the car back, I would have stayed home.  I would have been late and just given up on my appointment.  A guy with a shovel was all it took to keep me up and going. 

I'm glad that I made it to Bert Nash.  Matt is going to go to court with us.  He said that most likely we'll get at least ten days to get out since we have kids but we might even get three more weeks since we didn't receive any notice until last week.  It all depends on the judge. 

Matt also said that the HPRP application can help us to get into a place we can afford more quickly and that he's been looking but there are not a lot of three bedrooms in Lawrence.  The good news is, we have some help.  I'm still nervous, but things are not looking so scary.  I just think about our perfect dinner on Tuesday and keep that calm in my head.  God is helping.  Things will be ok, even if I don't know how yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment